Friday, June 19, 2009

Seriously...SHARE THE ROAD


June 16, 2009 12:23 a.m.
(..."Steve Epstein said of being tailed by frustrated motorists.")
And God Forbid a slow moving cyclist would move over to the right side of the road to allow a "tailgater" to pass so that he could get to his doctor appointment on time...
(It's amazing that this town is now issuing ordinances on manners and creating a new "protected class" of citizens. Have you hugged your bicycle today?)
Perhaps we also need to have license plates on bicycles so that car drivers can report 2-wheelers that jump out of no where, drive at night with no lights, run stop signs and red lights and pass on the right...Heck, there are bicycles being used by 16-19 year olds to case homes in parts of Columbia and an ordinance for license plates would help identify these criminals who are riding around between homes and in backyards and then ride away on sidewalks.
I've also witnessed bicycle riders litter and yell at automobiles. Are we not allowed to yell back?


I found the above response from someone named Ray Shapiro commenting on a news story about the passing of an ordinance protecting bike riders from harassment in Columbia Missouri. I really need to respond to this as I am a cyclist that has ridden in a lot of traffic all across the US. Sadly, when riding bikes in traffic it is a us(motorist) versus them (bikers) mentality that creates incidents with oftentimes deadly outcomes.The distain that Ray spews in his comment is commonly heard from those who do not bike. He is using broad generalizations and stereotyping to apply his experience to all bike riders. Ray is the type of guy that I am really afraid of when I am out riding on the roads. He has an agenda and feels the need to school those "criminals on bikes". This guy would hurt you out on the road if push came to shove. The scary part is that there a lot of Rays roaming around in cars with an ax to grind. Unless you have been on a bike, in traffic, and have a car pass by fast and really close you don't have a clue how scary this is. Many iniatives are being undertaken to encourage motorist to share the road but attitudes remain the same. I have been lucky and have only been yelled at, mooned, flipped off, and threatened with a variety of expletives. However, I know others who have been on the receiving end of worse and even being hit by cars. The universal problem both for cyclist and other drivers is our sense of self importance and privlege when we drive cars. The general attitude is "GET THE HELL OUTTA MY WAY" or else suffer my wrath and the consequences. Anyone or anything, especially a bicycle, impeding my self absorbed agenda is at risk of being on the receiving end of some really bad behavior. The other reason that Rays' comment really irks me is this is personal to me. A really good friend of mine was riding with his dad and his dad got hit from the rear and was killed. You can watch a video of this incredible cyclist and advocate for social justice here,
There are some good cyclist in world doing great things with bikes. We have a right to be on the road and are simply asking you to be aware and for just one second to put your selfish driving habits and indignation aside and give us the space we deserve. You who do not bike really should try it if only once or twice just to see how it feels when you whiz by me at 50-60 miles an hour. So, Ray,I'll be watching out for you if I ever come to Columbia Missouri. I promise I won't "jump out of no where, drive at night with no lights, run stop signs and red lights and pass on the right".And I'm pretty sure I won't be riding in your backyard or on your sidewalks....

No comments: