Monday, April 21, 2008

HIV/AIDS in Africa: now you see 'em, now you don't


There is something about good magic that really intrigues us. The eye is fooled so easily that most people, with a little training, can do it. I think that, sometimes, our existence depends on our ability to be fooled. On many current issues, if we knew the reality, we would not be able to live the comfortable and charmed lives many lead. Or maybe we would. This has been brought to my attention as I continue to share with many of my friends and acquaintances the plight of those suffering from HIV/AIDS in Africa and how the lack of clean water impacts this disease. Many people seem to have a " well...that's them, you know...over there." outlook. So, it is like a good magician that keeps you focused on the right hand while the "magic" is going on with the left hand. We are so easily distractable and the desire to be entertained in all areas of our life has crept into our sense of compassion and what is morally right. I keep searching for a way to convey the need of these people for love, understanding, care and concern. I keep looking for a way to shake them out of their complacency into action, no matter how small. In the bible in Proverbs 1:32, it says "...the complacency of fools will destroy them ". I am just so amazed at peoples indifference and reluctance to help. For a while I thought the problem was just too big and that it overwhelmed people. But there are so many organizations and opportunities, like the RIDE:WELL bike tour, that everyone can participate even on a small local level. Yet, still people are just not interested even when they personally know someone doing something amazing like riding a bike across the US to raise funds and awareness of this cause. The great thing is that ultimately I know that God is my provider and I have been called to this issue to educate others and then God takes over from there. This is what He calls all those who follow Jesus to do and that is to be witnesses and speak of the healing power of loving and caring for others. This is where the real "magic" comes in. When lives are transformed by how we love.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am indeed very happy for my life; I never thought that I will live on earth before the year runs out. I have been suffering from a deadly disease (HIV) for the past 2 years now; I had spent a lot of money going from one places to another, from churches to churches, hospitals have been my every day residence. Constant checks up have been my hobby but until this faithful day, I was searching through the internet, I saw a testimony on how a spell caster helped someone in curing his HIV disease, quickly I copied his email which is DR.OKORUNDO@HOTMAIL.COM I spoke to him, he asked me to do some certain things which I did, he told me that he is going to cast the spell which he did, then he asked me to go for medical checkup after 45 minutes of casting the spell, I was free from the deadly disease, he only asked me to post the testimony through the whole world, faithfully am doing it now, please brothers and sisters, he is great, I owe him my life, if you are having a similar problem just email him on DR.OKORUNDO@HOTMAIL.COM +2348056918545